Activated charcoal has taken the health and beauty worlds by storm. It’s popular with bloggers, beauticians and with celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow. They’re making the most of its positive effects on their skin and digestive health.
Handpicked content: 5 reasons you should be using activated charcoal
Whether your morning beauty regime currently takes five minutes or an hour, there are easy ways you can incorporate activated charcoal into it. It’s the natural way to look after your skin, as our Beauty Team explains.
Using activated charcoal in the shower
- Give your body a deep clean in the shower by using an activated charcoal shower gel. Once you’ve lathered up, the charcoal will get to work, absorbing impurities and dirt from your skin. When you rinse, whatever the charcoal removes from the skin will drain away, leaving your skin feeling soft and glowing .
- If you tend to sweat a lot during the day or simply want to make sure your underarms smell as sweet as possible (for as long as possible) you’ll be pleased to know that activated charcoal is great at removing the bacteria that causes body odour. A natural sponge infused with charcoal will do wonders if you use it to gently exfoliate your skin in the areas where you sweat the most.
Handpicked content: Activated charcoal; the natural way to stop body odour in its tracks
Using activated charcoal in the bathroom
- Keeping your teeth looking glistening white isn’t easy, especially if you’re a fan of coffee and red wine but don’t want expensive teeth whitening treatments from your dentist. Thankfully, activated charcoal is a natural teeth whitener and is available in toothpaste form. A simple swap from your usual brand could have big results as the charcoal removes staining, plaque and bacteria, leaving you with whiter teeth and fresher breath.
- If you’ve never tried oil pulling before, maybe now is the time. Activated charcoal oil is a natural alternative to conventional mouthwash. All-natural, it contains a blend of oils which prevent plaque forming and is suitable for all types of teeth.
Handpicked content: Natural teeth whitening advice for a sparkling smile
Activated charcoal at the dressing table
- Charcoal is fantastic at removing excess oil from your pores and clearing up blackheads, and is naturally anti-ageing. It can balance your skin, leaving it looking radiant. For a deep facial cleanse, swap out your your existing cleanser or wipes for activated charcoal alternatives, which are also perfect for removing makeup.
Handpicked content: Can activated charcoal help your blackheads?
2. After a long, tiring day, give your face some TLC by applying a charcoal mask. It’ll deep clean your pores, reducing the appearance of spots, clearing up blemishes, removing dead skin and encouraging skin cell renewal. Your skin will feel so much softer and clearer, especially if you apply a mask twice a week.
Using activated charcoal when you’re on the go
- Easy to pop in your bag, charcoal facial wipes might be black in colour but they are excellent at refreshing your skin when you’re out and about. Lightly sweep over your face to remove dust and dirt and whenever you want to remove your make up.
- If you tend to bloat or are flatulent during the day, taking activated charcoal tablets with your meals could help as it’ll remove excess gas from your intestines.
Handpicked content: Activated charcoal: Uncover the secrets of this all-natural ingredient
Share your activated charcoal stores on Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter with #MyHB and #ChangeToCharcoal.