This article has been brought to you by Weleda
With great courage and commitment, the founders of Weleda dared to break new ground 100 years ago. They knew of the deep connection between people and nature. Since 1921, we have been developing certified natural cosmetics and Anthroposophic medicine based on this understanding and Weleda has been a pioneer of sustainability right from the start.
As much as we take, we try to give back. From our biodynamic medicinal plant gardens, to our sustainable and respectful supply chains, and the responsible use of resources – we are striving to make the world a better place. Sustainability and our respect for people and nature are part of our roots and our future.
A hundred years ago we became the world’s first natural cosmetics company, pioneering organic farming methods and cultivation, setting standards for ethical business practises.
Today, we are the world’s No.1 producer of certified natural skincare and healthcare products, inspiring an industry and supplying into fifty countries and across five continents.
The Weleda way
We develop certified natural cosmetics and produce Anthroposophic medicines – with knowledge, skill and experience since 1921.
The quality begins with the plants grown in our biodynamic gardens. Our gardeners work with nature’s own rhythms and intimately know every type of plant in the garden, from planting the first seed from our seed bank, nurturing the biodiversity of our soils, through to harvesting the crop by hand.
Before we select a plant for a new formulation, we research it carefully. We observe it with all the senses to understand where and how it grows. This is how it reveals its unique characteristics and correlation to humans.
Our natural cosmetics are certified by NATRUE – no other seal worldwide is more demanding in terms of quality. We produce Anthroposophic medicines from plants, metals and minerals. Our raw materials, sourced according to high quality criteria, are just as important as the methods by which we process them. We choose each process with care, because we know that growing quality plants is only half the story – it’s the processing that makes the difference in preserving the plant’s natural effectiveness.
Our promise of quality
We use the best raw materials, procuring them from people around the world with whom we nurture close and trusting partnerships. This ensures that we can trace every plant oil, dried flower and essential oil all the way back to their source.
- Every product is independently certified through the global accreditation body NATRUE as 100% natural and over 80% botanicals are certified organic.
- Containing no synthetics: all of our cosmetics are free from synthetic fragrances, genetically modified ingredients and microplastic ingredients
- Weleda has never tested any of its individual ingredients nor finished beauty products on animals.
- Organic. 80% of our plant ingredients are independently certified as organic and biodynamic, sourced from our own gardens and projects around the globe, sourced from our own gardens and projects around the globe.
- As a Union for Ethical Bio Trade member, we are committed to innovation and procurement practices that contribute to a world in which people and biodiversity can thrive.
Sustainable since 1921
For us, being a sustainable business means maintaining the health of people and nature for future generations. Only to take what can regenerate. We understand that we are a part of nature and must work in harmony with it. Only in this way can we face global challenges such as climate change and the loss of biodiversity. We are working to improve our climate balance and developing more sustainable packaging. By 2022 we aim to become independently certified a “B Corporation” – an internationally recognised certification demonstrating we meet high social and environmental standards by delivering financial, ethical value creation.
Healthy soils: The power of the Earth
Through the biodynamic cultivation of nearly 248 square kilometres worldwide (the equivalent of 35,000 football pitches) we are taking active measures to improve soil health and to conserve biodiversity. Using natural methods, we aim to keep the soil healthy, making it resilient and as biodiverse as possible. After the oceans, it is not the forests, but the soils of the earth that serve as our planet’s largest carbon stores. A living part of the earth’s crust, soil filters rainwater to create new, clean drinking water. Without the power of the soil, there would be no food. We all live from healthy soil – humans, plants and animals. Our gardens around the world are homes to rich and diverse habitat. The Weleda Garden in Wetzgau, Germany is home to 50 bird species and several hundred species of wild bees, and where there are about 1,000 species growing there as wild and ornamental plants.
100 years of Weleda
- 100% of our supply chains for our cosmetics are UEBT certified
- We have 8 biodynamic medicinal plant gardens worldwide
- All our natural cosmetics are 100% NATRUE certified
- 81% of all plant ingredients are organic
- 1000 raw materials used in our products
- 50 long-term organic farming partnerships around the world
- 98% of all waste produced during the manufacturing process is reused
Weleda's most popular ranges
You may of heard of a few of these, but here are the most popular natural and organic products from Weleda.
The Skin Food collection
The Calendula Baby collection
The Facial Skin Care collection
The Arnica Sport collection
The Body Care collection
Last updated: 18 May 2021