Have questions about how to use hair masks? Or maybe you’re wondering which ones you should be using alongside your normal hair care products?
Whatever your query, keep scrolling down to discover more about these restorative treatments which can help you achieve silky and healthy locks.
What are hair masks?
Hair masks are nourishing treatments which are a little more intensive than your average, everyday conditioner. They either come in a tub, tube or individually packaged, and are typically infused with restorative ingredients like argan oil.
While some hair masks are designed to moisturise your hair and make it appear smoother and sleeker, others can help strengthen your hair or even boost the health of your scalp. Most are quite thick in consistency and are supposed to be left on for around ten minutes or so to really see results.
What are the benefits of using hair masks?
Making a hair mask part of your regular hair care routine could ultimately lead to luscious, healthy locks. If you frequently use heated styling tools, dye your hair or have particularly dry hair naturally, you’ll benefit from hair masks as most are designed to moisturise your hair and replenish it of any oils it may have lost.
Those with fine hair which becomes greasy quite quickly may not benefit from a standard hair mask, as it could clog up your hair follicles and make your hair appear even more oily. Instead, try a more lightweight option that doesn’t contain oils or parabens.
You’ll also find hair masks designed specifically for curly hair, as well as options for those who regularly dye or highlight their hair or you can make your own DIY hair mask.
How to use hair masks
While your chosen hair mask will have detailed instructions about how to use it on the packet, you’ll usually follow these five steps:
- Wash your hair with shampoo. If you have very dry hair, you may want to condition it with your normal conditioner, too, to give it some extra nourishment.
- Towel dry your hair until it stops dripping and then divide it into sections to make it easier to apply the hair mask.
- Start applying the hair mask on the ends and middle section of your hair. If you’ve selected a mask specifically for the scalp, you can apply it there, too. To make sure the hair mask penetrates your hair properly, massage it downwards towards the tips as you apply it.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel to help the mask activate quicker. Alternatively, you can leave your hair uncovered and simply drape a dry towel over your shoulders to stop excess water or the hair mask from dripping on to your clothes.
- Leave the hair mask on for however long it recommends on the packet. You should then rinse it off thoroughly with warm water and dry your hair as normal.
Shop Hair Masks
Last updated: 24 March 20202