There are few complaints more annoying than an itchy scalp – especially as, typically, the cause of the problem’s hidden under your hair!
However, if you’re suffering from scalp itching, you don’t have to panic. In this article, we’ll explain how to identify the cause of your itchy scalp, and once you’ve done that, it’s easy to treat the causes.
Causes of itchy scalp
Usually an itchy scalp is caused
by something as unproblematic as dandruff, which will clear up on its own with a little TLC. Sometimes, scalp itching is caused by a dermatological complaint, but even that can be managed with consideration.
These are common ailments that cause scalp itching:
- Dandruff. Dandruff is caused by many different things, including stress and the cold. Although poor hygiene doesn’t cause dandruff, it can exacerbate it and make it more visible.1
- Seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis can occur anywhere on the body, causing the skin to itch and flake.
- Psoriasis. Psoriasis causes the skin to flake and crust. You can experience psoriasis anywhere on the body.
How to treat itchy scalp
Follow these tips to treat your itchy scalp at home:
- Clarifying shampoo. Use haircare to combat scalp itching by incorporating a traditional anti-dandruff shampoo or clarifying shampoo into your routine.
- Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is cleansing which can help to reduce itchiness when applied in a mixture, diluted with water.2
- Salicylic acid. Look out for shampoos that incorporate salicylic acid to help your scalp.
How to prevent itchy scalp
Suppose itchy scalp is a result of dermatological conditions or conditions associated with an autoimmune response (like psoriasis). In that case, it can be difficult to prevent scalp itching before it starts.
However, there are good habits you can develop to reduce your likelihood of symptom severity:
- Wash your hair once every other day to prevent over washing irritating your scalp
- Use a clarifying shampoo once a week as a deep, scalp cleansing treatment
- Use products specially formulated for sensitive skin
- Make a natural anti-itching remedy with coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, or salicylic acid
31 December 2020