Morrocan oil is a medium-weight oil, which is the perfect consistency to moisturise all skin types. Around ten years ago, Moroccan oil had a little bit of buzz about it, and we think it’s still deserving of the hype.This liquid gold is linked to a wide range of benefits for beauty, including managing skin conditions and combatting split ends.1,2
In this article, we’ll look at how you can use Moroccan oil on your hair and face as part of your beauty regime. Then, we’ll recommend the Moroccan oil products we love.
What is Moroccan oil?Moroccan oil is also known as argan oil and is produced from the kernel of the argan tree. The argan tree is native to South Morocco – which is the only place it grows in the world. Morocco’s Amazigh people have used the oil for its beauty products for centuries.3
Moroccan oil on hairMoroccan oil is full of antioxidants and fatty acids that make it a great conditioning agent.4,5 Here’s how to use Moroccan oil to enhance hair health:
- Hair conditioner. Apply argan oil while hair’s damp as a leave-in conditioner to encourage the hair to get stronger, develop shine, and style better.
- Protective spray. Plant oils are known to protect hair from split ends.6 Spraying argan oil on to hair can help protect it from stressors such as heat and styling.
- Hair mask. Make a hair mask which incorporates argan oil to strengthen frayed hair and protect against split ends. Leave on for around 20 minutes to reap the most benefits.
Moroccan oil on the faceThanks to a significant volume of antioxidants, including vitamin E, argan oil is excellent for skincare.7 Use it on the skin in numerous ways, including as a:
- Lip salve. Apply a little bit of argan oil to your lips to soften them in the drying colder months.
- Supporting skin concerns. Use argan oil to reduce redness and sensitivity.8
- Skin cream for a youthful glow. Argan oil encourages the skin to repair and maintain volume, which may help to reduce the visual appearance of ageing.9
- Oil-combatting cream. One scientific study found that applying argan oil twice a day reduces sebum production to the effect that skin looks less oily.10
Moroccan oil products
Moroccan oil, or argan oil as it’s otherwise known, is an ingredient in a wide range of beauty products, including:
- Soap. Moisturise your hands as you wash them with argan oil soap.
- Shampoo. Encourage your tresses to grow strong as clarified with argan oil shampoo.
- Conditioner. Lock in moisture and enhance shininess with an argan oil conditioner.
- Body moisturiser. Soften skin as you moisturise with 100% argan oil.
- Facial oil. Use argan oil by itself or in combination with other oils to enhance skin appearance, thanks to its soothing properties.
Expertly reviewed by:
Reviewer: Manisha Taggar
Last updated: 2 December 2020