For a lighter falafel, try broad beans instead of chickpeas, in our gluten- and dairy-free recipe for the spicy staple from the Middle East.
Suitable for Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Vegetarian
Prep time 15 minutes, plus chilling
Cook time 20 minutes
Nutrients per serving:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 slices gluten-free bread made into breadcrumbs
- Mild olive oil, for frying
- 6 gluten-free pittas
- Carrot, red cabbage and mint slaw (see recipe Moroccan lamb pittas)
For the tahini sauce:
For the falafel:
- 500g frozen broad beans, blanched and podded (300g podded weight)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 400g tin chickpeas * rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Handful each parsley and coriander, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp coriander seeds * roughly crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds * roughly crushed
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes *
- ¼ tsp smoked sweet paprika *
- 1 slice gluten-free bread made into breadcrumbs
For the falafel, dry the podded broad beans as much as you can by patting with kitchen paper. Place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients and some seasoning and whizz to a paste. Keep in the fridge for a couple of hours.
When ready to serve, heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6. Put the breadcrumbs on a plate and the beaten egg on another. Shape the falafel mixture into 12 patties and coat in the egg then the breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot, add half the falafel. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown. Wipe the pan with kitchen paper and repeat with the remaining falafel. Put them all on a tray and put in the oven for 15 minutes to finish cooking.
Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the tahini sauce and thin to a drizzling consistency with water. Warm the pittas according to pack instructions. Split and fill with salad and serve with 2 falafel each. Drizzle with the tahini sauce.
Podding the broad beans is a bit time-consuming but worth it, as it gives these falafels a tender texture and a brilliant green colour inside.