Find out what vegan creatine means, why you should take it, and 5 of the best vegan creatine supplements out there.
What is creatine?
Creatine monohydrate is a natural substance that’s made in our bodies – but you can also get it in supplement form to make sure you’re getting enough.
Creatine increases physical performance in successive bursts of short-term, high intensity exercise.
Can you get creatine from plants?
No, you can’t get creatine from plants. However, there are some other foods that are a natural source of creatine, including red meat and seafood.
Can vegans have creatine?
Yes, even though there are no natural food sources of vegan creatine, there are plenty of vegan creatine supplements out there to fill the gap, fortunately! These include:
- Pre-workout powders with creatine
- Pure creatine powder
- Creatine chews
- Creatine tablets
- And more!
We have 5 vegan creatine supplements below if you want to learn more!
Do vegan athletes need creatine?
It is generally recommended that vegan and vegetarian athletes take a creatine supplement, as they won’t be getting any from their diets.
However, most athletes – vegan or non-vegan – are recommended to supplement creatine due to its important role in high-intensity exercise and energy levels.
It’s just vegans and vegetarians may feel the effects more.1
5 of the best creatine for vegans
Here are 5 of the best vegan creatine supplements, from pre-workout powders to pure creatine powders and chewies.
Vegan pre-workout creatine powders
There are times when everyone needs a little boost to get out there and exercise, and a pre-workout powder can do just that!
Choosing a pre-workout powder with creatine already mixed in serves multiple purposes, so you don’t have to have multiple supplement drinks a day.
They’re pretty simple to make – requiring just a shaker and some water, so you don’t have to worry about getting the blender out.
Here’s one of the bold and fruity pre-workout powders by Cellucor C4 Sport.
From the creators of America’s no.1 pre-workout brand, Cellucor C4 sports has everything you need to become the best you possible!
This sweet and effective formula contains electrolytes, creatine, beta-alanine, caffeine, taurine and arginine AKG – the perfect combo of sports drink and pre-workout elements to start your workout off right.
- Contains 3409mg creatine per 9g serving
- Take it at least 30 minutes before you exercise
- This expert formula is the perfect mix of performance and energy support in one drink, so your mind and body are on the same page
- 100% vegan friendly + each and every batch has been tested for banned substances – so athletes can safely use it in their training regimens
What our customers think:
Adam_gibbys – Best pre-wokout ever – 5/5 stars
“Really good. Gives a great pump and gets me fired up for anything!”
Beck8400 – Solid product! Give me the boost I need – 5/5 stars
“Amazing taste and value. I like it right before the gym or I take a scoop midday if I need a little energy.”
You can also get it in Blue Raspberry flavour.
Here’s another vegan creatine pre-workout powder by Applied Nutrition:
Strong enough to come with a warning label! This cherry cola flavoured All Black Everything pre-workout powder packs a serious punch!
Each serving of cherry cola goodness contains 3.25g of creatine, alone with citrulline, beta-alanine, theacrine, vitamin B3 and vitamin B12.
- Contains 3.25g of creatine, which increases physical performance during high-intensity exercise
- Niacin (vitamin B3) helps reduce tiredness and fatigue, so your brain can keep up with your killer workouts!
- Vitamin B12 has been added to support normal red blood cell formation, which help carry oxygen around the body
Not a cherry cola fan? Don’t worry, you can get the same pre-workout goodness
- Bubblegum crush
- Cherry cola
- Fruit punch
- Gin & tonic
- Sour apple
- Gummy bear
- Strawberry mojito
Vegan creatine chews
Pure creatine doesn’t have the greatest of tastes, I’m sure we can all agree on that.
So instead of adding the usual bold pre-workout flavours, the Vow Nutrition team created these creatine chews in a few yummy flavours as an alternative!
Not only is this great for the sweet-toothed, it’s also handy for those who struggle with liquid, powder or tablet pre-workouts. We can think of worse ways to get your creatine in!
They’re also more-than-ideal for travelling or eating on the go, because you don’t need a shaker and fresh water to make it!
Quick and easy chewable creatine – check. Fresh minty breath – also check!
These tasty little creatine chews pack in 3g of creatine per 4 mints.
They’re such a handy way to take your creatine, especially when your out and about or travelling.
- You control the dosage, take 4 for 3g of creatine or 6 for 5g – depending on your needs
- Enjoy increased performance on the go – they’re great for keeping in your gym bag
- They’re a great alternative to creatine powder if you are sensitive to the tastes or textures of creatine, or you don’t like sport supplement drinks
Not a mint fan? Don’t worry, you can also get them in strawberry flavour.
Pure vegan creatine powder
Take a no-fuss attitude to sports supplements? Then you might be a fan of pure and simple creatine powder.
The beauty of creatine is its versatility; you can put it in smoothies, protein shakes, milk shakes, or plain old water if you’re a real purist!
We recommend this high-potency formula creatine powder by Precision engineered:
No frills, no fuss. Just high-quality creatine at an affordable price.
It makes a perfect alternative to pre-workout formulas with creatine if you’re trying to cut down on the caffeine or maybe you prefer it in the form of a coffee.
You can easily alter your dose, e.g. take more servings if you are going through a bulking phase – which you can’t always do with other stimulating pre-workouts, as you heart wouldn’t really like that!
- Enjoy 5g of pure creatine monohydrate goodness in each serving
- This creatine powder is unflavoured and unsweetened, so you can mix it into anything you like
- Designed to help increase physical performance
What our customers think:
Alanex – Great Qaulity – 5/5 stars
“Have purchased many times before as it does exactly as it says."
Nadya – Good boost – 5/5 stars
“I add 1 to 2 teaspoons of creatine with coffee before my gym session, which helps me to push harder. Recommended!”
Vegan creatine sachets (pre-workout)
Essentially, this is a dinky, ready-to-enjoy sachet version of the Cellucor C4 pre-workout powder we’ve already mentioned above!
Each 9g sachet contains 3000mg creatine, as well as electrolytes, caffeine, taurine, beta-alanine and arginine AKG to help prepare both your body and mind to work out.
- Contains 3409mg of creatine per 9g serving
- Support your performance and energy in one handy sachet
- Every batch has been tested for banned substances
What our customers think:
M Varela – 100% vegan plant-based performance boosting powder – 5/5 stars
“Amazing that this is 100% plant based and vegan. It's an incredible product. I've compared my performance on the spinning bike with and without the pre-work out and on average I perform 5 to 10% better when I take it.”
Bradley121 – C4 rocket fuel! – 5/5 stars
“Rocket fuel! So, so good, Gives you an amazing pump at the gym.”
Also available in Fruit Punch flavour.
The final say
- Creatine is made naturally by our bodies, but vegetarians, vegans and athletes may want to consider a creatine supplement
- You can also get creatine from red meat and seafood, but there are no plant sources
- It can help enhance physical performance,
- You can get vegan creatine powders, pre-workout formulas, sachets, chews and more, see which one works best for you!
For more information on using creatine as a sports supplement, read our article on When to take creatine for best results.
Our top vegan creatine supplements...
Last updated: 30 August 2021