Banish body odour with activated charcoal
Body odours, such as sweat, bad breath or flatulence, can be embarrassing at times, but did you know that activated charcoal could be the fresh solution you’ve been looking for?
Highly porous with the ability to absorb toxins and bacteria from your skin. mouth and gut, activated charcoal can be used whether you experience body odour every day or only now and then.
So, what causes body odours?
When you perspire, bacteria on your skin breaks down the acid in your sweat, causing it to give off an odour. The longer the sweat remains on your skin, the more the bacteria can break it down.
Bad breath, or halitosis, is mostly caused by poor dental hygiene. If food particles are left in the mouth, bacteria breaks these down and produces sulfur compounds. Smoking, tooth decay and alcohol can also cause bad breath.
Flatulence can be caused by foods and medical conditions, such as IBS, constipation and indigestion. Foods, such as brussel sprouts, cabbage, lentils, beans and apples, which are carbohydrates that can’t be digested in the intestine, are broken down in the colon by bacteria. This produces a gas, which is then released as flatulence.
Handpicked content: 6 simple ways activated charcoal will boost your beauty regime
How can activated charcoal give you that fresh feeling?
The ‘activated’ charcoal found in beauty products and used to combat body odour, isn’t the same as the charcoal you buy for your BBQ. It’s been heated to a high temperature and combined with gases to create as activated charcoal.
This super version of the black stuff has expanded to create pores that trap bacteria and toxins, preventing them from being reabsorbed by your body. Simply put, less bacteria prevents more from forming, which means your body odour won’t be as strong.
Handpicked content: What is activated charcoal?
How activated charcoal can help odour caused by sweat
- Charcoal sponge - Incredibly soft, full of minerals and suitable for all skin types. The sponge gently exfoliates the skin and cleans the pores. Not to mention they have antibacterial qualities to remove odour-creating bacteria.
- Soap - Activated charcoal soap is exceptional for clearing your pores, removing body odors, oils and leaving the skin refined and tighter. Some soaps are made with avocado oil which deeply moisturise the skin.
- Wipes - Great to use at the end of a long day or after a heavy workout at the gym. Activated charcoal wipes are easy to use and can help you draw out any dirt and excess oils. These detoxifying wipes will be sure to stop any odour before it starts.
How activated charcoal can help ease bad breath
- Charcoal toothpaste - Innovative but unusual, it effectively removes plaque, prevents the buildup of tartar, provides a gentle antibacterial effect and leaves you with lasting freshness.
- Charcoal mouthwash - Its antibacterial properties protect against bad breath, keeping your mouth fresher for longer. Routine use of activated charcoal can aid stain removal, keeping your breath fresher for longer. Its antibacterial properties protect against bad breath, neutralizing bad odours.
How activated charcoal can help ease flatulence
Handpicked content: Charcoal: a magical ingredient for young skin
Shop Food & Drink
- Charcoal tablets - T Taking charcoal tablets between meals, and drinking plenty of water will mean that those troublesome bodily gases are absorbed during the digestive process. Just ensure that you avoid taking these supplements when taking other medication, to avoid those being absorbed by the charcoal tablets.