Are you looking to bake some mince pies or a leftover turkey pie this Christmas? If you or a loved one is dairy or gluten intolerant, you’ll appreciate this easy-to-follow recipe. Like with any shortcrust pastry, you can make it as and when you need it or in advance - it’s up to you.
If you’re going to be baking a pie or tart you should follow the recipe as below and then line your tins with the pastry before baking them blind for 10 – 15 mins at 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4.
Gluten and dairy free shortcrust pastry
- 200g gluten-free plain flour
- 50g Trex vegetable baking fat (made from palm oil and rapeseed oil)
- 50g dairy-free margarine
- 1 large egg
For sweet pastry, you’ll need 50g white sugar too.
- Place the flour, Trex and margarine in a bowl. Using a fork to mash the ingredients until you’re left with fine breadcrumbs. If you’re making sweet pastry, you should now add the sugar.
- Add the egg and mix well to create the dough. If it’s not sticking together, add a few splashes of cold water.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and put in the fridge if you’ll be using the pastry in the next 24 hours. Alternatively, double wrap it in cling film and put in the freezer, where it will keep for up to a month.