A quick and easy alternative to your lunchtime salad, simply create raw ‘courgetti’ to mix with this tasty nut-free pesto of breadcrumbs and cheese.
Suitable for Vegetarian | Nut-free
Serves 1 (pesto serves 4, and will keep for 3 days)
Prep time 15 minutes
Nutrients per serving:
- 1 large courgette
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp sunflower * or pumpkin seeds *
For the pesto:
- 25g stale breadcrumbs (we used day-old ciabatta)
- 100g washed baby spinach
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
Make the pesto. Toast the breadcrumbs in a dry frying pan for about 3 minutes until lightly crisp and golden, then tip into a small food processor. Add the spinach, lemon zest and oil and whizz to form a smooth paste. Pulse in the cheese.
Use a spiraliser or julienne peeler to make courgette ‘spaghetti’. In a mixing bowl, add a generous spoon of pesto to the courgette, plus the halved cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and then pile into your serving bowl and top with the sunflower seeds.
Leftover pesto ideas:
- Toss into pasta or risotto
- Swirl into a frittata
- Spread in a panini roll with roasted peppers and grilled halloumi