Tired of having an untidy house? While housework can be very tedious, your home is your castle and worth keeping clean and fresh at all times!
Regularly spring-cleaning your home is not only essential for your health, but also a great way to clear your mind – especially if you’re currently stuck indoors during the government advised coronavirus lockdown.
Why is cleaning your home important?Regardless of how long you spend at home each day, it’s crucial that you regularly set aside time to clean it. There are numerous reasons for this, including:1
- Stopping the spread of germs
Our homes can harbour all sorts of bacteria, some of which can be harmful if it starts to build up. Cleaning areas such as our bathrooms and kitchens regularly is essential for stopping the spread of germs.
- Eliminating dust if you have allergies
If you have allergies or suffer from asthma, frequently cleaning your home will make all the difference. This is particularly true if your house or flat is carpeted or you have lots of soft furnishings where dust can easily settle.
- Improving your mental health
- Getting rid of bugs and pests
Dirty homes are havens for bugs such as ants and moths, as well as larger pests like rodents. Keeping your house consistently clean and tidy will massively reduce the risk of getting an infestation.
So, just how often should you clean your house?
The big question when it comes to household cleaning is how often it should be done. Again, this will narrow down to a variety of factors, from how many people live in your home or whether you have any pets to how much time you spend in your house day to day.In general, though, the more often you clean your home, the easier it’ll be as you’ll be able to stay on top of the dirt and extra clutter. If you’re unsure which tasks you should be doing every day, every week or every month, here’s a rough guide3:
Recommended everyday cleaning tasks:
- Clean your dishes
- Give your bathroom a quick wipe down
- Air your bed out and make it
- Wipe down kitchen surfaces and the sink
- Sweep your kitchen floor to get rid of crumbs
Recommended weekly cleaning tasks:
- Mop or vacuum all your floors
- Dust and wipe down furniture
- Scrub down your bathroom surfaces (including mirrors)
- Switch your bedding
- Clean your kitchen sponges thoroughly
- Get rid of any food in your fridge or cupboards that’s going off
Recommended monthly or bi-monthly cleaning tasks:
- Wipe down the inside of your fridge and freezer
- Clean your oven, hob, dishwasher and the inside of your washing machine
- Dust any blinds you might have
- If you have a shower curtain, give it a wash or replace it
- Clean under and behind all your furniture
- Wash pillows and duvets
If you’re stuck indoors 24/7 due to the coronavirus lockdown, staying on top of house work will be even more important. You might want to complete some of your weekly cleaning tasks every few days instead, especially things like mopping floors or vacuuming.After some products made from natural fibres and chemical-free ingredients to help keep your house neat and tidy? Check out our complete household cleaning range.
Last updated: 27 April 2020