Get breakfast right and you’ll set yourself up for a day of healthy eating. Avoid sugary cereals and opt for nutritious options that will fill you up without piling on the pounds.
Your Healthy Breakfast Checklist:
- 30g protein
- A small amount of healthy fats
- Complex carbohydrates
- Low sugar
- Vitamins and fibre from natural sources
Warming Oatbran Protein Bowl
Swap your usual cereal for a bowl of oats, or go one better and use oatbran to pack your diet with fibre, healthy carbs, and essential fats. The additional protein will keep you full for hours.
- 50g Oatbran * or oats * (not quick cook or flavoured options)
- Water, milk * or dairy-free milk * alternative
- 1 scoop (25g) protein powder *
- 50ml egg whites
- 40g frozen or fresh berries
Cook the oatbran in the microwave or on the hob with your water, milk, or milk alternative.
Just before it is cooked, add your berries and stir.
Then add the egg whites and stir continually whilst cooking for 30 seconds.
Remove from the heat and stir in the protein powder.
Healthy Cooked Breakfast
There’s nothing wrong with the basic components of a cooked breakfast. It’s the add-ons which are the calorie culprits!
- 2 slices meat-free bacon
- 1 vegetarian sausage
- 1 egg (poached)
- 1 slice of rye bread *, or a small pitta bread opened up and “butterflied”
- ½ tomato
- 1 large field mushroom
Cook everything on one pan for ultimate convenience: start with the vegetarian sausage, then the meat-free bacon, then the tomato and mushroom.
Toast the rye bread or pitta and poach the egg whilst everything else is cooking.
Lighter Eggs On Toast
Eggs are an excellent choice for breakfast, giving you a complete source of protein and some healthy fats to keep you full. Choose your toast wisely and you’ll have a brilliantly healthy breakfast.
- 2-3 eggs (poached, hard boiled, as an omelette, or scrambled)
- 1-2 slices of sourdough bread, rye bread *, or a pitta bread opened up into two halves.
- 5-10g real butter
Avocado is a great choice (especially for vegans), giving you healthy fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
IngredientsHolland & Barrett
Mash 1/2 an avocado with black pepper, lemon juice, and a small amount of chilli flakes.
- Spread onto 1-2 slices of rye bread
- Serve alongside 2 rashers meat-free bacon
- Use as a filling for a small lower-calorie wrap
Shop Food & Drink