Want to know which is the best biotin supplement for you?
Find out why you need biotin, how much you need, + 6 of the best biotin supplements of 2021:
- The best value biotin supplement
- The best high-strength biotin supplement
- The best biotin tablets for hair skin and nails
- The best biotin skin, hair and nails gummies
- The best vegan biotin hair gummies
- The best multivitamin with biotin gummies
What is biotin?
Biotin (vitamin B7) is part of the B vitamin family. It plays several roles in helping maintain a normal nervous system, normal skin and energy metabolism.1
Our bodies can’t store biotin, as it is water-soluble.
This is why we have to consume it every day through our diet or supplement routine.
However, the helpful little bacteria in our guts can produce a small amount – thanks guys!
What foods contain biotin?
You can find biotin in several animal-based foods, seeds, nuts, nutritional yeast and some vegetables. Here are some of the best biotin sources:2
|Beef liver (85g, cooked)||30.5ug|
|Egg (whole, cooked)||10ug|
|Salmon (85g, pink, canned)||5ug|
|Porkchop (85g, cooked)||3.8ug|
|Beef burger patty (85g, cooked)||3.8ug|
|Sunflower seeds (33g, roasted)||2.6ug|
|Sweet potato (67g, cooked)||2.4ug|
|Almonds (23g, roasted)||1.5ug|
|Tuna (85g, canned in water)||0,6ug|
|Spinach (15g, boiled)||0.5ug|
|Broccoli (45g, fresh)||0.4ug|
|Cheddar cheese (28g, mild)||0.4ug|
|Milk (250ml, reduced-fat)||0.3ug|
|Plain yoghurt (250ml)||0.2ug|
What does biotin do?
It’s a very busy and often underlooked vitamin! Biotin has multiple important functions in the body, including:3
- Processing nutrients from food – biotin supports the enzymes responsible for breaking down the fats, proteins and carbs from our food.
- Supporting energy metabolism – biotin helps to convert the proteins, fats and carbs from our food into energy.
- Helps maintain healthy hair, skin and mucous membranes – biotin helps on a cellular level to reproduce all cells in the body, including hair and skin – which have a particularly high cell turnover.
- Supports normal psychological function – with the help of other B vitamins, biotin can help maintain neurons in the brain.
- Supports nervous system function – biotin works with other B vitamins to help maintain normal nervous system function.
A biotin deficiency can result in skin rashes, hair loss and brittle nails.4
This is why it is commonly found in hair, skin and nail health supplements.
Read more about biotin uses and health benefits here.
What are the benefits of biotin supplements?
Here are some of the benefits of taking a biotin supplement:
An easy way to get biotin
It can sometimes be difficult to get enough biotin each and every day.
Equally, it can be pretty hard to keep track of unless you’re constantly analysing your diet for its biotin content.
That’s why some people choose to take biotin supplements; think of them as a little insurance in the same way as multivitamins are.
Some multivitamins contain biotin, but they often contain quite a low dosage.
Choosing a biotin supplement or a multivitamin for hair, skin and nails is often the best bet if you want to make sure you’re getting enough.
How much biotin should I take?
There is no current ‘recommended’ intake for biotin like there is for many other vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin D, as more research is needed.
However, the European Food Safety Authority has proposed some Adequate Intake (AI) of biotin:5
- Infants over 6 months - 6ug a day
- Children aged 1-3 – 20ug a day
- Children aged 4-10 – 25ug a day
- Adolescents -35ug a day
- Adults and pregnant women– 40ug a day
- Lactating women – 45ug a day (to compensate for biotin losses through breast milk)
Is biotin safe to take every day?
Yes, you can take biotin every day as long as you stick to the manufacturer guidance – we do need a daily dose for good health after all!
Are there side effects to taking biotin?
Side effects from taking biotin supplements are rare. However, they could cause people to experience:6
Consult your GP if you experience these symptoms.
Also, try taking your biotin supplement with food if you haven’t been already, as taking it alone could be causing these side effects.
It’s also worth noting that if you have ‘extra’ biotin in your body, it will naturally be flushed out of your system when you urinate.
This means that overdosing on biotin is very rare, although still a possibility. Here are the overdose symptoms you should look out for:7
- Low vitamin B6 levels
- Low vitamin C levels
- Drop in insulin production
- High blood sugar levels
- Biotin is an essential B vitamin we need to consume through our diet or supplementation
- You can find it in animal-based foods, seeds, nuts, nutritional yeast and some vegetables like sweet potatoes
- Biotin is needed for breaking down foods and drinks and converting them to energy, maintaining healthy hair, skin and nails, and supporting your nervous system function
- Taking a supplement is an easy and convenient way to get your daily dose (we need it every day as it is water-soluble
- Biotin supplements rarely cause side effects, plus it is quite hard to ‘overdose’ as any extra biotin will be excreted in the urine
6 of the best biotin supplements 2022
The following biotin supplements have been specifically designed to nourish your body with biotin – and nothing else.
They’re great if you only want to take biotin, already take a multivitamin that contains biotin, or simply want to top up your dosage.
We’ll list some biotin supplements with extra added nutrients in the next section if that’s more what you’re looking for.
The best value biotin supplement
Holland & Barrett Biotin 120 Tablets 1000ug
Plain and simple, yet effective, these biotin tablets supply you with 1000ug of high-quality biotin per serving.
They’re a great addition to any supplement routine – simply take one or two tablets a day, and your skin, hair and mucous membranes will thank you later!
They are also available in a 300ug strength.
- An easy and convenient way to support and maintain normal skin, hair and mucous membranes
- 1000ug of high-quality biotin per tablet
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
What our customers think
Rottweiler – Biotin 1000mg – 5/5 stars
“I have been taking Biotin for about 9 months now and gave noticed a big difference in my nails and hair and feel better I’m myself for taking them they were recommended for me by my G.P. and I am glad she did.”
The best high-strength biotin supplement
Solgar Biotin 5000µg 100 Vegi Capsules
Take just one of these high-strength biotin capsules by Solgar a day and see what it can do for your hair, skin, nervous system and energy levels!
They are 100% vegan friendly and free from sugar, salt and starch – so you know you’re just getting biotin with no other unwanted ingredients.
These super biotin capsules are also available in 50 capsule pack size – great for testing them out.
- Very high strength - 5000ug biotin per capsule
- Take just one capsule a day for hair, nervous system, energy and skin support
- Suitable for vegans + sugar, salt and starch free
The following products contain biotin + other vitamins and minerals
Pure biotin supplements have their place, but you can also experience the benefits of biotin in formulations containing other nutrients too.
The following products contain biotin + other vitamins and minerals that complement it – they’re great if you like to keep your supplements to a minimum.
The best biotin skin, hair and nails tablets
H&B Expert Multi Action Skin, Hair & Nails
It’s not just biotin that is good for your hair, skin and nails, which is why we have developed this multi-action formula.
Simply take one tablet a day to reap the benefits of biotin, selenium, zinc and vitamin C in the SkinAx2™ multi-nutrient blend.
These vegetarian-friendly tablets also have advanced bioavailability to help your body absorb and use the nutrients effectively.
- High strength essential vitamin and mineral blend – including SkinAx2™ – to help improve skin radiance, luminosity, elasticity, and clarity
- Contains SkinAx2™ multi-nutrient blend with biotin, selenium, zinc and vitamin C
- Take just 1 vegetarian-friendly tablet a day
The best biotin skin, hair and nails gummies
Starpowa Hair, Skin and Nail Gummies, 60 Gummies
These Starpowa gummies have been specially formulated to help support your hair, skin and nails.
Not only do 2 gummies provide you with the perfect amount of biotin for your day, but they also contain zinc, folic acid, vitamin C and more.
- Contain 50ug of biotin per 2 gummies as well as other vitamins and minerals key to hair, skin and nail health like zinc and folic acid
- Delicious natural berry taste and 100% vegan friendly
- Easy to take (they’re so tasty!) and great for those that don’t like to take tablets
What our customers think
Annabelle – Best hair gummies! – 5/5 stars
“Love these hair vitamins so much! They really helped my hair and made it feel so much thicker and stronger - really reduced hair fall. Beats any other hair vitamins I’ve tried. Skin also got a lot better too! Thanks STARPOWA.”
Legal Lady – Excellent product – 5/5 stars
“My friend recommended these gummies as my hair has been thinning due to the menopause. I have used for the last three months and have been impressed by the results. My hair definitely has more body and is looking healthy and strong. Would definitely recommend.”
The best vegan biotin hair gummies
Pretty Gorgeous Hair Gummies
A lot of people who are looking for biotin supplements to help support their hair health – is that you?
If so, these strawberry-flavour vegan gummies could be just what you’ve been looking for.
They contain an impressive 5000ug of biotin along with other nutrients your hair will love like zinc.
- Contains an impressive 5000ug of biotin + other hair-supporting nutrients
- Totally vegan-friendly gummies with a delicious strawberry flavour
- Also contains zinc, which is also key to hair and nail health
What our customers think
Jayney Bee – Wow. – 5/5 stars
“I have been taking these chewable vitamins for a week & a half and my hair is already feeling thicker & fuller. I’m also losing less hair when brushing. I don’t normally leave reviews, but I had to as the product is amazing.”
Missy7 - Best on the market – 5/5 stars
“These taste great and supply you with a great range and dosage of vitamins. There is honestly no better hair gummies out there.”
The best multivitamin with biotin gummies
Nature's Way Alive! Women’s Energy 60 Gummies
Some multivitamins forget about biotin (annoying!) but don’t worry, these Alive! Multivitamin gummies have you covered.
Each daily serving of 2 gummies packs in 375ug of biotin plus lots of other vitamins and minerals to help support your overall health.
They are flavoured with natural orange and berry flavours too, what’s not to love?
- Multivitamin specially formulated for women needing energy level support
- Contains vitamins C, B6, B12, D and Biotin for normal hormonal activity & maintenance of normal bones to contribute to normal energy release
- Tasty naturally flavoured orange and berry vegetarian gummies
What our customers think
G Cooper – Great product! – 5/5 stars
“Great product! Very tasty and I look forward to them every morning. I feel so much more energised and my hair is shinier.”
Anonymous – I’m in love ❤️- 5/5 stars
“These vitamins have literally helped my skin and hair so much! I also have realised my fertility is back on track! The best vitamins I’ve had so far!”
Jennyfromtheblock – Taste amazing!! – 5/5 stars
“Due to poor diet due to severe illness I decided to give these a try about 4 months ago and I’m so glad I did, I have a lot more energy now and my hair feels and looks better as I was starting to lose a large amount of my hair.
I can’t recommend these enough to anyone looking for a really good all round multi vitamin, I find the flavours really tasty so can’t understand how some previous reviewers complained they were gross, but I guess each to their own!”
The final say
- Biotin is an essential B vitamin needed for energy metabolism, cellular function, and keeping your hair, skin and nails in tip-top condition
- Most people don’t need a biotin supplement as they will get enough through their diet
- If you do want to invest in a biotin supplement, hopefully the information and customer reviews above have helped you choose the right one for you – whether it’s a gummy, tablet or multivitamin
Last updated: 7 April 2022